Re: Christmas for Kats...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 07:17:08 -0800

>At 09:15 PM 1/11/96 EST, you wrote:
>>Christmas?? Hmmmm . . .
>>I spend WAY too much time thinking (more like daydreaming),
>
>Let's face it. I daydream about the SWAT Kats every class period, evey
>night, and every week end. This is my third year, so far. Because of this, I
>consider myself an extremist, unless you daydream 24 hours a day?

Hey, there's nothing wrong with daydreaming. Personally, I usually find myself doing
something horrifically boring on a daily basis to afford all those little luxuries like rent, cable
and our Government - but daydreaming appears to be more than an effective combatant.
Actually, daydreaming during one's job shows that one's imagination hasn't atrophied to the
point it doesn't work anymore - like so many others I went to school with who are now
fascinated with the 1.2 kids, minivan in the driveway, RRSP's and Blue-Chip investments.

Also, aside from having gone through all the hoops to get work in the industry, professional
cartoon writers of any stripe differ very little from those of us using *our* imaginations for
fanfic. The principle is exactly the same, only they have agents and paycheques, and more
money to go toy shopping (true...a few I know to varying degrees visit "Toys R Us" more
than the average kid!). Most adults who watch cartoons wind up the subject of derision
when they mention the fact to friends or workmates, yet the same yardstick doesn't apply
equally to those who create them? Math ain't my subject, but that's an inequity of mammoth
proportions.

Not too many cartoons nowadays can ignite imaginations like Kats - both in terms of viewers
and creators - and it's rather sad that the ranks of the imagination-less are the ones that hold
the keys to the Turbokat. When I get folks looking at me sideways for simply seeing something
in an animated project that they themselves could not, I just feel sorry for them - and hope that
someday they'll be able to daydream again.