Re: Rat Gets The Bird

From: Dan Ramos <danramos_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 19:22:56 -0800

At 10:48 PM 11/15/95 -0800, you wrote:
>There is no way to "restrict" stuff to the over 18's on FTP sites that I'm
aware of
>aside from disallowing anonymous FTP - but that's kind of self-defeating.
As far
>as the naughty Kat-art goes that's resident on rat.org - it's in a
directory marked
>"perv" guys - I don't imagine you'd go there looking for religious tracts,
do you?
>"Common sense" is a far more powerful tool than blanket censorship. Be
responsible
>netizens and tread carefully if you're likely to be offended by stuff -
these images
>don't leap out unbidden from the VGA screen to poison your mind - a lot of work
>is involved looking for them. If you don't like that kind of thing - don't
search for it.

Personally, I'd rather just not bother checkin' 'em out--so that works. But
the problem arises when the typical 8 year old on Prodigy happens across
RAT.ORG and checks out the perv sections not knowing any better--or perhaps
KNOWING better. :P

>We may get _told_ very shortly to ditch the images anyway - as it looks
like TWC
>is on the warpath, and it may extend to H-B properties. That's an educated
guess
>at the moment, but I'd _strongly_ suggest downloading what you will from the
>directories as soon as you get time just in case. Paranoia has a way of
spreading
>faster than most other diseases.

No surprise there. :P heh... surprised?