Re: 4500 mph???!!!

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 95 15:02:37 EDT

>Actually, Ed was right upon looking back at the TK's makeup - it appears to be
>half-F14 and half AV-8A. The directional thrusters are cribbed directly from
>"Harrier" (though it's a bit of a stretch having only the one for the entire rear of
>the aircraft), but the swingwing is _all_ F-14 and its brethren.

The Turbokat does not appear to have swing wings. It just looks like
an F-14's wing at mid-sweep. There's really not much Harrier in the
Kat; it has more in common with the Russian Yak-141. There are
inconsistencies, though, as in VTOL mode the TK's air intakes become
the front nozzles, and it's not clear where the middle engine gets
its air.

Not that I mind at all of course. The Turbokat rules!!

>Razor's preoccupation with "dings" in the paintwork of the TK during Mutilor
>reminds me much of certain friends who feel exactly the same way about their
>Military gear - personally, if it still flies and all the pieces land roughly simultaneously,
>I'm a happy Kat!

Pilots are like that, but do note that dents and imperfections add
drag, and become hot spots at high-speed flight.

>Oh yeah..way out there, but in "Mutation City", did anyone notice how Razor
>and T-Bone go to MegaKat Biochemical Labs to get the anti-mutagen required
>for Doc Konway, and rather than have the substance in a single tank, it's actually
>in two separate ones? I think this is because the chemical is what they call a
>"binary" - a term left over from NBCW weaponry from the fifties. They used to
>(and likely still do in some countries) put two separate containers of different
>substances into the nosecone of a missile or artillery shell, harmless by themselves,
>but when combined upon weapon delivery would mix and create all manner of
>nasty nerve agents or other toxicological nasties. I think the Kat writers had this
>in mind for the scene, as in "Giant Bacteria", Megakat Biochemical is rather
>obviously a Military facility (not too many civvy labs I know are defended by
>laser cannons....).

Well, MacBeth's castle in Gargoyles had that sort of firepower. And
he had his own Harriers too :)

Binary agents are relatively new, BTW. The catch is that it's harder
to come up with the two components separately than it is to make the
finished nerve agent.

Ed Rudnicki
erudnick_at_pica.army.mil
Oculis numquam claudentibus