Re: toy-R-Us...and marathon

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 09:43:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Ian Lynn wrote:

> Hit the local T-R-Us this weekend with hopes of them holdingto their original word
> of both the Kat toys and ther new Star Wars stuff hitting their shelves the first part
> of July (yeah, I know it was just the first day of July, but hey I'm anxious).
> Unfortuantly, I struck out on both counts, as expected, and came home with only a couple
> of ST:TNG fig. What is the latest "official" release date, anyone??
>
> >From what I can tell from the commercial for the marathon, the Razor and T-Bone are
> the action figures (I may be wrong). Macho Man also has some sort of punch gun that
> he is holding in one of the promos. Is there more to the line of new toys than
> just figures??

     Toys 'R 'Us lies through their collective teeth (just ask me about
"Creepy Crawly Splinter" sometime), so don't hold your breath until
August for the ac-figures. The "Punch Gun" thing, I believe, is from
another 'Kats licensee - Gordy Toy - who did this thing, the SwatKats
flashlight deal I got from Ed Rudnicki, and apparently the sorry toy that
came with the "White Castle" meals. From what I gather in all these
cases, the toys existed already and simply earned new packaging and a
bunch of stickers to make them 'Kat-related.

     Okay, now comes the bad news. Guys and girls, if you want your
local video stores to carry the three SwatKats home videos, you may have
to call them and make the powers that be aware of the interest. Picture
yourself as a purchasing exec wondering what the heck a SwatKat is, and
wondering how many copies of MMPR to order instead of the 'Kat guys.
Also, enquiries in my end of the universe concerning the SNES Hudson-Soft
game just generated a rash of head-scratching - so you may need to ask
your retailer about that too. "Turner Marketing" is beginning to sound
like an oxymoron.

     BTW, I'm almost afraid to ask, but um..what _exactly_ is a "Macho Man"?
Are we talking Randy Savage? The Village People? Jane Fonda in drag?

     "...$%#!!_at_!!, does EVERYTHING have to occur at the speed of MTV?!"
  - George Lucas on the cancellation of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles",
    after hearing that viewers expected constant action, rather than a
                        "gentle history lesson"