Re: Stereotyped, monotyped, poorly typed.

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 18:20:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 22 Apr 1995, Felix Lee wrote:

> > up-and-comer, who may not be what he/she appears?
>
> ok. but how about getting rid of the "not what they appear" gimmick?

     I wasn't referring to someone in disguise or anything, just perhaps
an up and coming Enforcer with a hidden agenda.

> heh. since when are romantic relationships two-dimensional?
>
> shrug. they're hard to handle in boy-oriented action/adventure
> stories. funny that recurring characters in cartoons are rarely
> married. oh, they have all types of stable relationships, but they're
> rarely involved in stable romance. I've got dozens of silly theories
> for why this is true, and I don't even know if it _is_ true. :)

      Every time, without exception, that I've seen this attempted, the
romance just kind of lays there, like "Phantasm". In the kind of
fighter-pilot cameraderie that's central to T-Bone and Razor's
relationship, there isn't room for a third entity without adversely
affecting their situation. I don't know about anyone else, but when most
of my high school friends got romantically entangled and married off,
that was essentially it. Their whole outlook on life, the universe and
everything became confined to their rec rooms and backyards. Reference
the introduction of a romantic interest for Raphael in the TMNTA comix -
big mistake. It breaks up the situations already in place, and drags the
nature of the stories and the characters off-course. It may eventually
have a place in ac/adv stuff, but I don't think its here.

Andy