Citizen Ted: Captain Planet in disguise?

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, Matthew b Milam wrote:

> I had read somewhere that The only H-b cartoon he liked was Captain
> Planet beacuse it wasn't violent.
>
> Matmilam

Bingo!

There's a nasty thing called the "DIC code", which essentially translates
into "if it's effective against evil, you don't get to use it in a cartoon".
Turner's favourite cartoon is, for a fact, "Captain Planet and the
Planeteers", which is in, what - it's sixth season? This cartoon and
stuff like it will likely soon be all that we can watch, if the code to
which it adheres becomes more of an industry standard that it already is.

     A fellow mailing list dweller tells me that Turner spent one-tenth
of Hanna-Barbera's entire operating budget on SWATKATS, which seems at
odds with what he's doing with the program now. It also seems peculiar
when you hear something like that next to what I get in my mailbox from
people who don't leave names - like "Turner hates the program", and "He
cancelled it because he suddenly realized how violent it actually was".

     I'm still waiting for a call back from Hanna-Barbera to help clear
up the circumstances regarding it's cancellation, but I think they've
been told not to talk to us - I normally get called back the same day.

Andy (not paranoid, just observant...)