Re: Knuckles #1 (spoilers)

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 16:51:28 -0400 (EDT)

>From: KenP7672_at_aol.com

(quoting me (Ron Bauerle))

>Sorry you didn't like the Indiana Jones riff, but we were determined to get
>the series off with a bang. However, don't chalk up the death-traps entirely
>to the echidnas who disavowed technology. There are more than a few secrets
>to the Grand Conservatory waiting to be revealed. A hint of things to come is
>revealed in issue #3.

_3_? So as to end it on a cliff-hanger whether or not a regular series
results? Oh well, if ABC could do it... :^)

>Whether or not YOU chose to believe KNUCKLES has the ability to survive all
>those traps is one thing. It wasn't just athletic ability alone, he had to
>outwit the gauntlet as well. As for his powers of flight, SEGA says he can
>GLIDE through the air. It works for me.

I guess if I could accept it for Gargoyles, I should accept it for him too,
eh? :^) (But at least they have wings...)

>>Speaking of swallowing: not to restart the "what meat do sentient furries
>>eat?" thread, but I found it ironic that Archimedes was an ant and echidnas
>>are spiny ANT-eaters... :^)

>This was DELIBERATE on our part, and we address this with great relish (pun
>intended) in the second issue.

Heh - OK... :^)

>>And Enerjak being Dimitri after a long nap - I get the feeling of "been
>>there done that" but we'll see where you take it...<

>Maybe you have, but what about the kids who are part of the audience as well?
>My nine year old son and his friends are eating this stuff up.

Fair enough - just shows how hard it is to write a "universal" comic that
appeals to the next generation _and_ the "seen it all" 36-year-old geezers
like me...

>>I'd rather see more effort put into the Freedom Fighters (e.g.,
>>another Princess Sally or Tails mini-series).

>This is a legitimate POV. However, if this does become a regular series,
>you'll be missing out on some interaction with SONIC and the FF if you do.
>(You have heard of crossovers, haven't you?)

Yup; which series would address Knuckles' and Sally's past? :^)

>Also, initial reaction to the
>KNUCKLES mini-series seems to be STRONGER than PRINCESS SALLY or TAILS. If
>sales supports this, it's a good chance there'll be more of everyone's
>favorite echidna. And Archie isn't playing favorites either. They would love
>to see a TAILS or PS series do as well as SONIC. It's you the fans who
>determine what is produced and what isn't.

Well, to be fair, it's been stated on the list (by Paul C, I think) that
the marketing/distribution for PS was basically botched (I don't remember
anything said about Tails though). But I suppose even if it hadn't been,
given that the main audience is pre-adolescent boys, I suppose PS would
always come out behind Knuckles. Oh well, c'est la vie...

Ron