Re: META: I Don't Want to Be a Bozo

From: Ron Bauerle <bauerle_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:23:39 -0400

This showed up in rec.arts.comics.other-media, and I thought many of
its points were worth mentioning on the Sonic mailing list - I'm
getting tired of people posting in MIME/base 64 encoding, and/or
quoting people's _entire_ messages, including the .sigs.

RDB

In article <1996May2.220449_at_fnalv.fnal.gov>,
morrow_at_fnalv.fnal.gov (Two Songs This Elmo Sings) writes:
> I DON'T WANT TO BE A BOZO
>
> A Guide to Readability on rec.arts.comics.*
>

>1: Not everyone has the same newsreader as you, so don't use its
> advanced features no matter how cool they are.
>
> o Hypertext is for the web. Leave the HTML out (but leave
> the URL in!).
>
> o Multi-part messages in MIME format are ugly and almost
> unreadable if you don't have a MIME-capable newsreader, and
> most people don't. So don't make posts in MIME format.
>
> o Most people are reading news in fixed-width fonts on screens
> that are 80 characters wide. If you can resize your window,
> don't. If your newsreader does linewrapping for you, don't
> assume that everyone else's can, too. Make your lines about
> 75 characters wide, and everyone will read your post. Make
> your lines about 85 characters wide and no one will read your
> post.
>
>2: rec.arts.comics.* is a hierarchy with a lot of different groups.

(stuff relating to follow-ups and crossposting deleted)