Re: Jaleel White, sonic movies, ect...

From: James Firmiss <firmiss_at_cae.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:15:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Paul Lapensee wrote:

> Well I received a national college magazine called U. Magazine (May)
> today and they had an article about "Star-Studded Students." Anyway to
> get to the point, Jaleel White (voice of Sonic in DIC cartoons) was
> featured and it mentioned he went to UCLA, so I loaded up UCLA's
> student directory and sure enough he was there.

The article just mentioned Jaleel's role as Steve Urkel on 'Family Matters'.
He mentioned how if a girl askes him to do an Urkel impression or imitates
Urkel by saying "Did I do that?" in a nasal whiney voice, then the date is
over.

I saw an interview with Jaleel and he was asked to do 'Do Urkel' (which he
refused) so I guess he gets pretty sick of it (based on personal
experience). Back around 1985 I had done some voices for a home movie
featuring plush toys strung up like puppets. I voiced 'Hubert' (A Hubert
Doll from the Harris Bank), and even though it was seen by only a handful
of friends and family, I had gotten sick of requests to 'do Hubert' rather
quickly.

I can just see him coming out with a book in the year 2006 titled,
"I am not Urkel" after a few thousand more Urkel impression requests
where he vents his hatred for being typecast as a nerd and tells of his
other, more serious, acting roles.

I can also see him coming out with another book in the year 2026 titled,
"I am Urkel"... ( alternately titled, "Did I do that?" ) where he lightens
up and gets over the fact that he had been typecast into 'nerd' roles.

Okay... Maybe not. ... And now for something Sonic related:

I have to wonder if he feels the same about his role as Sonic the
Hedgehog. I'm guessing he doesn't have as many requests for 'Sonic'
impersonations. I also have to wonder if he thinks of 'Sonic' as 'just
another job' or if he has a greater regard for Sonic as a character.

Its wishful thinking but I think it would be great if Jaleel White were
to join this list even if he only posted about once a month.

--
   James Firmiss firmiss_at_cae.wisc.edu

_at_[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"