Re: Web page text formatting...

From: Ratman <rat_at_bort.mv.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:31:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Theodore Patri Perrotti wrote:

> > Just a request, folks, but when you put a story on the web-page,
> > would you please format it to 80 characters? It's kind of annoying to have
>
> The only problem is that fanfic authors have to try to write their
> stories in formats that look good to people viewing them with many
> different programs and using many different monitors, many of which can't
> fit more than 78 characters on a line. So, whether they use 78 or 80
> characters, their stories are going to appear messed up to some.
> Besides, reformatting long stories is a MAJOR pain in the you-know-what.

I require all fanfic to be word wrapped before getting into the Gargoyles
section of my site. I don't run the Sonic fanfic, so I can't say what the
rules are there.
Word wrapping is easy! Get UltraEdit for Windows at
http://rat.org/pub/msdos and it's under the "edit" menu called "convert
wrap to CR/LF".
If you have Macintosh, get BBedit. Try one of the info-mac mirrors to get
a copy of that.

> > to scroll *waaaaaay* right because the entire paragraph is displayed as a
> > single line, and Netscape apparently has no word-wrap feature for plain
>
> You've got to be kidding! No word-wrap? That feature's an absolute must
> nowadays! Even Windows Notepad has it (though you do have to
> specifically activate the feature every time you run Notepad).

Netscape does not have word wrap for text files (at least I didn't see
anything about it). So I agree that textfile should be word wrapped. If
you don't want to use text, then do it in Word, but the disadvantage is
you can't click on it in Netscape and read it. You have to download it,
and load up Word to view it.

Ok, this is WAAY off topic. Let's not continue this thread on too much,
OK?