Re: My theory.

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:49:48 -0500 (EST)

> Geez! I just keep writing and writing, don't I.
>
> Since I wasn't here for the last year, I dont know if you guys figured out
> the reason for ABC's cancelation of DiC's Sonic episodes. Anyway (I think I
> used this word 24 times allready. Anyone got a replacement?) I have an
> interesting theory that I worked out, and at the same time disproved, and
> then proved.
>
> Since this list opened up way before the cancelation of the episodes,
> somebody migh have found it and noticed that the main Audience for the show
> would be us, and not 8-12 year olds. Besides, 8-12 year olds might have
> trouble understanding the circuimstances of the story. We, on the other hand,
> do. ABC was probably getting low ratings on the show, since the kids, weren't
> that much into it, and we were either in an inconvenient time to watch it, or
> were worrying for our reputation too much to watch it in public. Then why
> didn't ABC move the show to a more convenient time for us? Maybe they didn't
> have enough money.
>
> This is my theory, and I ran out of things to write.

Dmitry:

First off, welcome to the list (if nobody has officially done so).

As to your theory, you're pretty much on the money. Sonic's ratings
during the second season weren't good enough because it had the
misfortune of being up against Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers on Fox in
the same time slot. At the time, MMPR was at the height of its
popularity. ABC tried moving Sonic 1/2 hour earlier after the November
sweeps, but Fox countered by shifting its schedule so that by the time
of the February sweeps, Sonic was opposite MMPR again! And I guess in
Saturday morning kidvid, it's two atrikes and you're out.

I honestly believe that both ABC and Archie Comics are clueless as to
the degree of crossover for Sonic. They must think that the
game-players are the core audience and leave it at that, not realizing
the level of sophistication of some of the fans. Oh, well....

|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ || drazen_at_andrews.edu