Re: Sonic's IQ

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:04:45 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Dan Drazen wrote:
>
> > 'Fraid I have to disagree. Rude Sonic may be, impatient is a given, but
> > "slow-minded"? That's not only an insult, it's too far out of
> > character. It's the impatience, the refusal to noodle things through,
> > that causes Sonic to act rashly at times. Not the Mobian equivalent of
> > "playing football without a helmet."
>
> [Ratman's rebuttal]:
> I thought Sonic was intellecutally slow. Sally is always teasing him about it
> too. Sonic is pretty clever (getting out of situations), but I can't see him
> taking apart Nicole and be able to figure out what all the pieces do. He
> would rather just shake her until she worked.

I've been thinking about these issues in terms of a piece of fanfic I'm
working on. My working consensus is: Sally is extremely bright, and
being royalty and all she had early chances to take advantage of it.
She may not have had intensive training before Robotnik took over, but
Julayla (her tutor, whose passing was noted in Sonic #18) apparently saw
to her education.

Again, I have to assert that Sonic's "slowness" in intellectual terms
has more to do with his character/personality than with his physical
ability to learn and/or retain. Despite such jibes from Sally as "Where
were you when they passed out the brains?" (cf., "Sonic's Nightmare,"
first season, SatAM), I think Sonic is of average intelligence for a
Mobian. He's swift enough to come up with reposts and retorts for
Robotnik and Snively, so he's got a quick wit at the very least.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Forget about Willy; Free Mobius!
|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ || drazen_at_andrews.edu