Re: SK Superchunk!

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:52:43 -0700

>>(The CRTC: all the ineptitude of Manx, the arrogance of Feral, and the mandate
> >of "The Pastmaster". Quite the Unholy Trinity.)
>
>Ooooh, more accurate words were never spoke. Hmm. A thought occurs:
> weren't the Tremblays French-Canadian - wouldn't that qualify as
>"Canadian Content"? (yeah, right, huh?) I swear, if we get ONE more
> French station.........I might suggest taking our "War on Atlanta" to the CRTC!)
>
>Oh, don't get me started on "Canadian Content"/French channels......

Oddly, the CRTC denies entry of "The Cartoon Network" into Canada, pay-cable
or otherwise, based on the fear of "cultural dilution" due to the fact that the U.S.
churns out so much kid-oriented programming, and the fear that our littluns will
grow up to be Americans. Well, nice theory, but those in the corridors of
power should really give their collective heads a shake, as the majority of
that "American stuff" is animated by Nelvana in Toronto, outfits in Vancouver,
or a coalition formed from all of the above (with help from overseas). Combine
that with the number of dispossessed Canadians working in the L.A. kidvid
industry, and you've got "Canadian Content" up the wazoo. (In fact, I listed
off some twenty-seven Canadian-animated productions in a sig once, in response
to some utterly vapid quote by Keith Spicer on behalf of his Clueless Cronies.)

The CRTC is a dinosaur well overdue for a date with the tarpit, and given the above,
really should translate into:

"(C)an't (R)ead (T)he (C)redits"