Re: jets?

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 13:59:00 EDT

>>In Canada, they form the backbone of our Air Force now that the venerable
>>CF-5 has finally been put out to pasture. In the 'States, your Air Force flies
>>F-16's, I think, your Navy flies F-14's, and the Marines fly F-18's. I think
>>there's some cross-pollination happening there, but the details are a bit of
>
>>(waiting for someone to leap in with the inevitable corrections....)
>
>I think that the "Hornet" designation is for the F-18s that the Navy uses.
>If memory serves, the F-18s are replacing the A-6 "Intruders".

Hornet is its name in all US service; I don't know what other
nations call theirs.

The Hornet replaced the Phantom and the Corsair. The A-6 is being
replaced in the interim by F-14s, and eventually the F-18E/F, which
is a much larger and more capable aircraft than the original F-18,
though sharing a family resemblance.

Ed