Re: Tan Fur

From: Michael J. Rider <jaguar_at_warwick.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 23:51:14 -0400

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:20:15 -0500 (CDT) Kevin L. Knoles Wrote:

> Human hair can bleach if it's in the sun a lot , so maybe fur would do
>something similar? Granted, it woudn't be tanning, quite the contrary, but
>there would be *some* type of color change.

My own hair bleaches somewhat in the summer when I"m out in the sun a lot.
A kat's fur should do the same thing. It might even become a fashion thing
like tanning is for us humans. A little peroxide could get the same effect
much faster without even a tanning bed.

> You know, now that I think about it, real cats can probably tan, and by
>that I mean their skin, not fur. I've noticed that one of my cats has a lot
>of pink skin visible on his belly, even though he's a long hair. I bet if he
>were to lay out and douse his belly with lots of UV, the skin would tan, in his
>case turn gray since that's the color of his non-pink and non-white skin. Some
>of my other cats with shorter but thicker fur might not. Are we the first to
>speculate about furry tanning?

I'm sure a cat's skin would tan. There are sphinx cats that don't have any
fur at all and I'm sure they tan. They would have to the way pigs do (they
really do). We aren't the first to speculate about that at all. I recall
a thread going on alt.fan.furry not too long ago about furry tattooing,
piercing, shaving, etc. Tanning is a minor body alteration akin to that.

    / Michael J. Rider / :o o:
   / AKA: Richard #926 /________oOOo_==( ^ )==_oOOo__________
  / jaguar_at_warwick.net / ' /
 / Jason_Jaguar on FurryMUCK / Hey, what's going on up here? /
    / Brain> Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering? /
   / Pinky> Uh, I think so, Brain, but where will we find a /
  / duck and a hose at this hour? /