Re: The Videos

From: Chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 08:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Paul Hurley wrote:

> I had never seen it before either. And whenver I see one I hadn't seen
> before, I keep saying "wow! This is a good espisode!", then after a few
> seconds. "wait a minute.. They're all good!". I almost wanna cry when I think
> that they are probably wont be any new ones.

     Yes, but that's what's great about a free-market economy. Mouse can
put whatever it wants on the tube and not have to worry because "if it's
isney, it's good"; Turner has no such luxury given H-B's history.

     Strategy-wise, they're not doing too badly, as the show only just
now is being exposed to whole new audiences in the new TCN slot, and the
later TBS one. I just had two surprising e-mails from my main
SK-detractors on rec.arts.animation saying "just saw one of the Mook eps
- forget everything negative I've ever said about the show!". I expect
similar revelations are occurring elsewhere less-vocally. If Turnerco
_was_ thinking about a revival of the series, this would be the way to go
about it, with some announcement timed just before Christmas. There's a
few things that point to something like this occurring; TBS and TCN
timeslot change with the new ads, the advanced state of completion of the
extraneous three eps, the _lousy_ ratings of much of their current stuff,
and the fact that changing the focus of the WPT's to be "breeding ground"
for new series pilots indicates they're looking for something to
originate/produce again. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps, but there
it is.

     Tim Fay "El-Kabong'd" me with a comment mentioning that not
_everybody_ "universally detests" the WPT's - but aside from the same few
that everyone mentions, everyone _I've_ talked to (that wasn't scared of
commenting) both inside and outside the industry thinks that pursuing the
WPT's at the exclusion of "other projects" (SK,etc) is a bad move for
H-B, and may kill them. Turner tries to address that by mining the WPT's
for possible series pilots? Throw this man a clue. (Just heard that
Buzz Potamkin may have a lot to do with this - throw _this_ man a clue
too...)

 "Of course it has boogers in it. It's got kid-type humour" - John K. in TVG
                                   --
 "Naaaah...just make them cat aliens." - Executive 'creative input' at H-B